Citizens Advice Liverpool is hosting a writing competition as part of its work with the Illegal Money Lending Team to raise awareness of the dangers of borrowing from loan sharks and how to report illegal money lending activity.
Did you know?
- The lowest amount borrowed £20
- The highest amount borrowed £80,000
- The highest APR charged by loan shark £7.2 million
- 34% of victims and families went without food
- Loan sharks are a priority debt with 90% of victims in the northwest
- 12% of victims have attempted suicide
All entries are welcome, particularly from anyone who has been affected by loan sharks. The competition itself will offer the opportunity for participants to recount their own and their families’ experiences of loan sharks in a safe and supportive environment.
The competition has three categories:
- Short story
- Real-life story (journalism piece, diary entry etc.)
There will be a prize for 1st and 2nd in each category, £100 and £50. Participants’ accounts, anonymised as appropriate, will be available as an anthology in hard copy, publicly available via Amazon or similar, and indefinitely online as a testament to the impact of loan shark activities on communities.
This competition will close on Thursday 22 March 2018 and an awards ceremony will take place at Liverpool Central Library on Thursday 26 April 2018, 6-8pm.
You must include an entry form with your submission and send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org as a Word document, or by post to: Writing Competition, Citizens Advice Liverpool, 242 Picton Road, Liverpool, L15 4LP.