This is a voluntary role.
Term: 2 years. The Event Chair role is a minimum 2-year commitment. Where a committee has been established this would normally be with one year as Event Vice-Chair and one year as Chair. You will need to be present for the duration of the event.
Hours: 1-2 hours per week.
This is an exciting opportunity to help Cancer Research UK set up a committee and lead the first-ever Relay For Life event in Liverpool. Cancer Research UK Relay For Life is a celebration of the community’s fight against cancer as the teams fundraise in the months leading up to the event.
Each Relay is an overnight, community-led, non-athletic event where teams set up camp and take it in turns to walk around a track for up to 24 hours to signify that ‘cancer never sleeps’. The day itself has a carnival atmosphere. Everyone is invited to come along and celebrate the lives of Cancer Survivors, remember those lost to the disease and show their support of Cancer Research UK’s vital work.
The Relay is the highlight of the community’s calendar – it’s an opportunity for everyone to unite and help beat cancer. By leading a Cancer Research UK Relay For Life Committee, you will help to increase cancer awareness within your community and raise significant funds for Cancer Research UK’s life-saving work to find new and better cures for this disease.
What will I be doing?
- Recruiting, motivating and coordinating key volunteers to work with you on the Relay Committee in a variety of roles
- Organising and chairing committee meetings, overseeing the progress of other Committee Members
- Taking responsibility for the delivery of all key Relay ‘Standards’ at the event
- Acting as the Relay event spokesperson, being available for media interviews and presentations, and opening/closing ceremonies
as appropriate on Relay day itself
- Planning and organising the Opening and Closing Ceremony
- Communicating regularly with your Cancer Research UK staff partner to set and agree targets and to discuss progress and any issues that arise.
What skills and attributes do I need?
- You should have excellent organisational and leadership skills
- You should feel confident chairing committee meetings, be happy to delegate tasks to your fellow committee members and be confident to speak in public
- You should be able to use resources available to you efficiently – both people and materials
- You will need excellent diplomacy skills and be able to resolve conflict quickly and effectively
- You should have a ‘can-do’ attitude and be able to inspire others to work hard in their roles and have the personal dedication necessary to deliver a successful Relay.
How much time do I need to commit?
Prior to taking on the position of Relay Committee Chair, you will be expected to attend a training day or weekend on how to organise a Cancer Research UK Relay For Life. You will need to chair committee meetings throughout the year and be flexible in your leadership role, meeting with individual Committee Members and Staff contact as appropriate. As the Relay approaches, you will need to devote more time to the event.
What support will I be given?
Full training in how to organise Relay For Life will be provided. You will be supported by a member of Cancer Research UK staff who will keep in regular contact with you to ensure you have all the information you need and help you develop goals and seek resources for your event.
What benefits can I expect?
Organising your own Relay for Life will harness and develop the skills and experience you possess and will result in a tremendous achievement. You will play a major part in bringing your community together to unite against cancer and the money raised will help Cancer Research UK beat cancer which can be extremely rewarding. The Relay itself is fun and a great way to meet people and make friends.
Where will I be based?
Much of the preparatory work involved with Relay can be completed from home, although attending meetings and recruitment/promotional activity will require you to be ‘out and about’ in the community.
For more information, please email email@example.com or call 07825 423 773.
Closing date: 31 October 2021.Back to blog