Support available to residents following Universal Credit change

It has been well documented in the media recently that vulnerable families and individuals could be pushed further into poverty in the coming weeks, as furlough ends, the uplift in Universal Credit payments is removed and energy prices rise. However, a wide range of support is available.

Benefits advice

Request benefits advice or get help with Universal Credit claims today on the Liverpool City Council website or check if you qualify online on the UK Government website. You can also call freephone 0800 028 3697 or visit any One Stop Shop. You can also speak to your landlord if you’re a social housing tenant.

Short-term benefits advance

If you’re waiting for your first benefit payment and don’t have enough money to cover food and essential items such as rent, gas and electric you can ask your local Job Centre for a short-term advance.

To find out more, please visit the Liverpool City Council website.


Your local Citizens Advice can help you deal with debt. You can book appointments with the city centre money advice team on 0151 233 2771. Call 0344 848 7700 or visit the Citizens Advice Liverpool website to find your local office. For details of other organisations, please go to the Liverpool City Council website.

Council Tax

Call on this number: 0800 028 3686 if you’re having problems paying your Council Tax, have Council Tax arrears, are struggling to pay back overpaid Housing Benefit or owe other debts to the council.

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support helps you pay some of your Council Tax if you are on a low income or claiming certain benefits. You can claim whether you own your home or rent, or whether you’re working or unemployed.

To find out more, please visit the Liverpool City Council website.

Free school meals

Apply today on the Liverpool City Council website or call free phone 0800 028 3697 and your family could save over £400 per year and your child’s school can receive up to £1,900 additional funding for every eligible child.


Housing Options provides help and advice if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. Call them on freephone 0800 731 6844. Visit any of the One Stop Shops or call 0151 233 3000.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) can give you short term help to pay your rent when Housing Benefit or Universal Credit does not meet your rent in full. You can apply if you receive Housing Benefit or the housing cost element of Universal Credit or there is a shortfall between your rent and benefit entitlement.

To find out more, please visit the Liverpool City Council website.

Fuel and energy bills

The Healthy Homes team can provide free help and advice if you’re struggling to pay your fuel bills, and energy saving hints and tips to help keep you warm and your bills low. They may also be able to help with replacement boilers and windows. Visit the Liverpool City Council website or call them on freephone 0800 0121 754.

Liverpool Citizens Support Scheme

If you find yourself in crisis you can apply for support to get food and basic necessities for you and your family including gas and electric vouchers (urgent needs) and furniture and household essentials (home needs). An emergency or crisis might be a fire or flood, or you have had to move due to violence or fear of violence, or you are leaving care or prison and need support to stay in the community.

To find out more, please visit the Liverpool City Council website.

Foodbanks in Liverpool

Your local foodbank can provide at least three days’ emergency food and support to people in crisis. You can get a voucher from your: health visitor, social worker, local citizens advice or charity organisation and take your voucher to your local Trussell Trust foodbank to receive your emergency food. Your local church or community centre may have their own system and you may not need a voucher.

To find out more, please visit the Liverpool City Council website.

Back to blog
Sign Up!
for our newsletter!