Hours: 35 hours per week across 7 days on a rota basis 08:00-02:00 Monday to Sunday
Salary: £17,000 – £22,000
Description: This is an exciting opportunity for a practically minded, highly organised individual with an aptitude for maintaining high standards to join our Calderstones Team.
As a member of the events team, you will be responsible for setting the tone for all of our in-house events. You will need to deliver excellent customer service in line with the organisation’s values and ethos. You must be able to problem solve, be organised, a natural leader, and be confident in decision-making.
Your main responsibilities will be:
• To maintain a high FoH presence and continually interact with staff, volunteers, and visitors throughout the day
• To deliver all in house events to an exceptionally high standard
• To be responsible for the smooth operating of all in house events
• To take a lead role in the managing of incidents and emergencies whilst on duty, in the absence of our operations team.
• To ensure all catering orders are coordinated and communicated with our catering team
• To support FoH staff/volunteers in delivering excellent customer service and allocate duties where appropriate.
• To support the Sales and Events Manager
• To work closely with our catering team
• To ensure that the event rooms are set up and cleaned to a high standard. This will mean working closely with our cleaning. Facilities and operations team.
• To support the Catering Manager in the smooth delivery of all internal and external events.
• To be trained in all areas of the FoH provision, including cashing up, full catering provision, bar and reception to be able to supervise the shifts on site in the absence of the scheduled staff member/volunteer
• To be responsible and coordinate your team in the setup and take down of all Events where necessary and ensure all H&S requirements are followed
• Ensure our customers’ requirements are delivered
• Set up of all AV and PA equipment
• Liaising with suppliers, photographers, florists, entertainers etc to ensure they deliver
Knowledge/ Technical Skills
• Events experience (E)
• Available to work evenings and weekends (E)
• Flexible approach to working hours (E)
• Bar/Catering experience (E)
• Cash handling/cashing up experience
• Have lead a team in the service industry (E)
• Event planning/coordinating skills (E)
• To have worked on or managed weddings (D)
• Knowledge of health and safety, licensing and first aid (E)
• Has sound judgement and is able to demonstrate strong practical planning and delivery (E)
• Has strong interpersonal skills and has the ability to communicate effectively with staff, volunteers, group members, and members of the public (E)
• Understands and is able to demonstrate the importance of high standards(E)
• Understands and can demonstrate the importance of H&S Regulations (D) *training will be provided
• Has drive, initiative, motivation and resilience (E)
• Can manage time effectively, be punctual and reliable (E)
• Be flexible to changing demands of the post (E)
• Be trustworthy, maintain confidentiality at all times in respect of organisational matters (E)
• Has a proven track record of delivering co-ordinated activities and understands the importance of clear communication. Has demonstrable evidence of the ability to make effective decisions under pressure and takes responsibility for implementing them (E)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and can confidently present ideas in a professional manner at all levels in the organisation (E)
• Works well in a high-pressured environment (E)
• Self-motivated, organised, and flexible with the ability to prioritise tasks to meet deadlines and event requirements showing strong emotional resilience while working well in a high-pressured environment (E)
• Shares our ethos and values (E)
• Is a keen learner, willing to develop their skillset (E)
• Believes in and supports shared reading and the work of The Reader (E)
* E = Essential D = Desirable
Contact details: How to Apply
• Note. Please do not just send in a CV. We will only consider applications that adhere to the following process –
• Visit www.thereader.org.uk and select the ‘Get Involved Section’ where you will be able to view the full job description, recruitment pack and download an application form. Please complete the application form and submit to email@example.com
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 5th February 2020, 9am
• NB: applications arriving after 9am will not be considered
• A high volume of applications may make replies to everyone impossible.
Selection Process: If successful at shortlisting you will be invited to attend a panel interview. You may be required to complete a selection task at the interview if this is the case you will be informed of this prior to the interview date.
Interviews: week commencing 10th February
Closing date: Wednesday 5th February, 9amBack to blog