Posts available: 1.
Contract: Fixed Term.
Salary: £10.16 per hour.
Days per week: Monday – Sunday on a rota basis.
Reporting to: Storybarn Manager.
Location: The Storybarn, Calderstones Park, Liverpool, L18 3JB.
The Reader is a national charity that wants to bring about a Reading Revolution so that everyone can experience and enjoy great literature, which they believe is a tool for helping humans survive and live well. By reading with school groups, families, adults, looked after children, older people in care homes, adults with physical and/or mental health conditions, people coping with or recovering from addiction and individuals in the criminal justice system, their work is helping to improve wellbeing, reduce isolation and build stronger communities.
The Storybarn is a creative, interactive environment in which children can feel thoroughly alive and creative in the company of quality literature. With Shared Reading at the heart of all that they do, they believe that books offer children a way to understand the world in which they live and the worlds inside themselves. The Reader exists to provide book-routes into this inner space and to develop shared understandings of both it, and the outer world. The role of Storyhunter is to animate the Storybarn space and provide high quality shared reading experiences to children & families.
Knowledge and Skills:
- A confident reader with the ability to inspire young people to love reading and to feel confident and relaxed in the company of books
- A lively, engaging, enthusiastic personality with the ability to deliver all aspects of Storybarn programming and able to build a rapport with the children to encourage them to engage as fully as possible with the experience
- An ability to create an exciting, stimulating environment, whether in and around the Storybarn, or virtually, to encourage children to make meaningful connections with books and stories. Experience of using props such as puppets, musical instruments and other items to stimulate creative play
- An understanding of the curriculum and able to deliver curriculum based workshops for school groups
- Leading delivery of a varied programme of sessions and events for babies, children and families across The Storybarn, The Mansion House, Calderstones Park and online using streaming technology
- Bringing energy, warmth and enthusiasm as the host of Storybarn birthday parties, whether this is a virtual or physical party experience
- An awareness of and active commitment to upholding their safeguarding policies and procedures.
- A genuine willingness to work as part of a lively team to help the Storybarn project evolve and develop in the most exciting and positive ways
- Able to adapt and change delivery in response to audience, unsupervised and self-motivated including the flexibility to work weekends on a rota basis
- Committed to providing excellent customer service
- Experience of working/volunteering with children
- Excellent at reading aloud
- Confident in dealing with the sometimes challenging behaviours of children
- A flexible, playful and caring approach to working with children
- Self-motivated with the ability to work unsupervised
- Able to engage with parents, carers and teachers in a relaxed, open and non-judgemental manner
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent time keeping skills and the ability to remain calm under pressure
- Proficient in the use of MS office and willing to learn other IT systems and software as they look to further develop their virtual offer (E.g. Zoom).
- Personal knowledge of the need for Shared Reading
- A background in children’s books/ performing arts/music
- A current driving licence and access to a vehicle
- Excellent knowledge of children’s literature.
To read the full job description and to apply, please visit the Reader website.
Contact Details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 9 am on Friday 10 June 2022.
Interviews: June 2022.Back to blog