Sahir House, Merseyside’s HIV support, information, training and prevention service, is offering a free HIV awareness and stigma reduction staff training course. The course has been commissioned by Liverpool Public Health, for those working in Liverpool.
About the course
Liverpool City Council gained its Global Fast-Track City Status in December 2018 and aims to reduce HIV related stigma, to increase access to HIV testing across the city.
The course is a great opportunity to increase and refresh your knowledge on:
- Understanding the difference between HIV and AIDS
- Clarity on routes of HIV transmission and understanding risk assessment
- The vital role HIV medication has in managing HIV
- Current health campaigns such as U=U and prevention strategies
- Where to signpost to sexual health and HIV testing services
- HIV is a disability and providing the appropriate support
- Learning from people living with HIV to dispel the myths and stigma associated with HIV and how fluctuating symptoms and living with a stigmatised long term condition can affect people’s mental and physical health
This session will challenge the myths surrounding the virus and increase awareness, to promote local HIV testing and support services. It will equip you with refreshed ideas, knowledge and skills to develop more inclusive services for those at risk of HIV, living with HIV or bereaved by HIV, as well as those needing more current information about the issues.
The course is commissioned by Liverpool Public Health, is free to attend and is aimed primarily at health and social care professionals, based in Liverpool, providing care to the public in a variety of settings including clinical, public, voluntary, education, statutory and private/business. Staff from all areas of the workplace are welcome to attend. The session is not open to volunteers but if you are a volunteer interested in this area please do get in touch with us; we may be able to recommend other courses.
Dates and venues
Thursday 5th September 2019 Kuumba Imani Millennium Centre, L8
Monday 25th November 2019 Merseyside Society for Deaf People, L13
Tuesday 4th February 2020 Kuumba Imani Millennium Centre, L8
Please visit the Sahir House website for more details and to register for any of the above sessions. Click here to visit the Sahir House website ( you will be diverted away from the LCVS site).Back to calendar