The aim of the Trust is to further musical activities and education in the Liverpool area. It was established in 1954, with funds originally provided by Mr James Rushworth, Chairman of Rushworth’s Music House, in memory of his father William Rushworth. The original fund supports the promotion of musical activities and education within a radius of 60 miles of Liverpool Town Hall.
The fund is open to individuals and to organisations. Funds available are modest, and grants do not normally exceed £500 for individuals or £1,000 for organisations. Awards are not usually repeated for a second or further year.
The Trustees meet four times a year, in March, June, September and December.